April 30, 2012

AMP -- ASSOCIATION OF MUSIC PROFESSIONALS STATE OF YOUR UNION

STATE OF YOUR UNION


This blog is not going to be about the digital market place, where it's going, or how to get better at your craft. We are going to be asking some tough questions you need to sincerely and honestly answer.  I have spent the last several years compiling information on where the music industry is going by meeting with artists, developing artists, and working with up and coming stars.  There is a commonality between them all, in their hopes, dreams, and aspirations. I hope to cover that commonality that I learned while standing outside of venues, in the studio, in phone conversations, talking with agents, A&R, managers, publicists, friends, family and the artists themselves. While this will not be an exhaustive outlay, it should give you some clarity on if you're in or out.

The one thing I am sure of is this is the best time ever for the independent artist/ entrepreneur. The internet has opened up a whole new world of possibilities, and they're yours for the taking. Another thing I have learned is, if you're not willing to do the work, you're in the wrong business, and you should stop wasting your time and go back to your day job. However if you are willing to put in the hours upon hours of hard work, the rewards are limitless. 

BALANCING  ACT

Nearly all of the up and coming artists I talk with have day jobs, and some have families. First it is important that you get your priorities in check. Ask yourself, what is my definition of success? If you do not put God and family first, you may still make it to the top. However along the way you will make those around you miserable, families will breakup, children will be divided between parents, life will be miserable. and when you get to the proverbial top you will be alone, empty and ridden with guilt. So, balancing your career is not an act. It must be the very fiber you're made of.

ARE THERE CHALLENGES?

You bet! I had the distinct pleasure of performing with Christian recording artist Luke James the other night.  We hung out a little while with a group of artists after the show. The conversation was no different than the ones I heard hundreds of times before. One comment I heard was, "I need help".  While the artist who made this statement was a consummate professional, and if he perseveres he will make it someday, this is a reality check for us all. We all need help, and can't make it on our own. Your family and friends can only help you so far. You must employ your fan base in this venture as well. This is a must. You can overcome all of the challenges of this business and have them become an asset with the help of those around you. First you must learn how to do that. One of our goals at AMP is to help you learn to use your resources.


REALITY CHECK

Here are some questions you need to ask yourself in order to determine if you truthfully have what it takes and that you're not just running off the fumes of ego and denial. This is where the rubber meets the road. Do not take this lightly!!!!!!!

1. Am I self motivated

2. Am I willing to sacrifice

3. Can I take rejection

4. At the beginning am I willing to work long hours with no pay

5. Do I believe in myself

6. Do I have the patience

7. Can I not put a time limit on my career

8. Can I ask for help

Our goal at AMP is to help guide you through this maze. While this blog may seem tough. I meant it to be. THE MUSIC WORLD IS TOUGH. However it can be a lot of fun and highly rewarding in many ways. Let us help you succeed!

Click on join to become a part of the  AMP TEAM

No comments: