Being in the music business for many years has given me some insight on some of the personal habits of musicians. Some of those habits are quite quirky and worthy of a laugh. Then there are those habits that are sad. Some of these habits can cost them their careers. One of the most annoying traits inherent is being tardy. When I was in school, if you were tardy, you were sent to the principal's office and you were in big trouble. I spent a lot of time there, and because of that I am always on time. Not being on time shows a disrespect for others. Not a good way to make a good impression. OK, I had to get that off my chest.
# 1 GOOF UP
Believe it or not it's education. I don't mean you have to have a masters or PHD. I am simply talking about taking the time to learn the business of your career. While there are some that see the value in this effort, most don't even take the time to look. In today's world of the web, there is no excuse for lack of knowledge. Everything you need to know is out there. You just need to get off your lazy butt and get it. With knowledge, passion, effort, and talent, you will succeed. I will list some building blocks below of some of the things you need to do to get started. While not an exhaustive list, it will get you started.
1. Start with a plan-- If you don't know where you're going, how will you get there? This is the # 1 reason most people fail. The lack of a good plan.
2. Networking - Important beyond your imagination.
3. Social media - You must know how to navigate this world in order to succeed.
4. Publishing and how it works. If you don't understand this part of the business, you will lose your rear.
5. Booking -- Another need to know and understand
6. Contracts -- History will tell you why you need this knowledge.
7. Management -- Ask the New Kids On The Block why you need this.
8. Demo process -- You can waste a lot of money if you don't understand this process
9. Producing - Another valuable tool
10. Your craft -- Need I say more.
The best way to learn the business is to learn from those who have been successful in the business. Going to music business school or reading everything you can about the business, IS GREAT and needed. However all the schooling and reading in the world will never totally prepare you for what it's really like in the real world. Reputable Professional Associations are one of the most valuable tools you can use.
AMP is the premiere online resource available for those with an interest in the music business. We have Co - aligned with the Grammy's on events and they have done PSA's for us as well as SESAC. We have members on the board of Governors of the Grammy's as well as Grammy award winning producers, engineers, writers, Artists and engineers as well as Artists from major record labels. Our membership consist of Attorneys, Managers, Nationally successful businessmen, writers, etc...
As a member of AMP you will be advised and mentored by the highest level of professionals we can provide. You will have the opportunity to network with hundreds of musicians, Artists, and like minded Entrepreneurs like yourself.
If you have an interest click on join and we will hit you back