March 26, 2012

Atlanta #1 in child sex slavery: It's got to stop.

  I have never come close to having the passion I have for this ministry. The thought of child slavery makes me sick. We at AMP want to help stop this travesty. Help us and Streetlight Ministry bring awareness to this awful demonic activity. We must stop this. If you feel the same, go to comment on the blog, leave your info and we will get back to you asap on how you can help. Don't wait on somebody else; do put an end to this. It's been going on here way too long, and still happening every day.  Children are hurting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
     AMP is partnering with Streetlight to put an end to this. We need your help!


Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them. ~Ephesians 5:11

I have been a follower of Jesus for 14 years. I have taught and served as Chaplain at a Christian High School, served as a Youth Pastor, as an Associate Pastor and now as the Pastor / Planter of Midtown Church in Atlanta. Until last year I thought I understood evil and the work of Satan but what I have learned about Sex Trafficking and in particular Child Sex Trafficking has changed my perspective.

Metro Atlanta is the #1 market for child sex trafficking per capita in the USA, #13 in the world! 500 girls are exploited in Metro Atlanta every month. 7200 men pay for sex with adolescent females in Georgia each month. 90% of runaways become part of the sex trade. The average life expectancy of a child after getting into the sex trade is seven years! Street Gangs are becoming more and more involved in sex trafficking, bringing a new level of violence and control to the situation.

How did I not know anything about all of this prior to twelve months ago? I live in the city and have been leading a Christian community for six years. Well if you are anything like me you are aware of prostitution and you have some idea of where it happens but since you are not a part of that world you don't see it or know the depth of it. As I began to have God open my eyes to this unspeakable evil, I became heartbroken by what I have learned. Children are being sold as sex slaves all around us. It is a hidden world, so unspeakably evil it has to be totally hidden, but it is as real as your son or daughter. I have two teenage daughters, and knowing that someone's child is having this done to them is unbearable. When I had heard enough that I felt I needed to act, God led me to collaborate with some others to start 'STREETLIGHTS'.

STREETLIGHTS is a community of artists and non-profit groups who are committed to fighting this inhuman evil here in Atlanta and around the world. After talking with some people who have been involved in this fight for a while I became convinced of the need to raise awareness about this issue and activate people to volunteer and finance groups who are working in different areas of this problem.

Beginning last July Streetlights has put on three events to begin making a dent in the lack of awareness the general public has regarding this issue. The events feature live performances by visual artists, spoken word artists, music acts and dancers who have been gripped by this issue. Interspersed in the performances are representative of the groups involved sharing their heart about why they are in this fight. After the show we have a ministry fair to allow people to contribute and volunteer on the spot!

It is not enough for you and I to not participate in the evil that is child sex trafficking; we must expose this work of Satan. The destruction of lives and entire families that reaches through generations is what Satan is doing. Those who are trafficked, those who purchase them, and those who sell children for sex are all de-humanized in the process.

I believe Jesus' Church must lead this fight because we can not only expose the works of darkness but also shine the light of the gospel. The cure for this epidemic is Jesus!

Streetlight needs artists who can leverage their popularity to add their voice to this cause. What can you think of that is more important to stop? Can you be that artist? Do you know that artist? Can you help us by volunteering with us or another group in the fight?

Please take some time to look into this and once you have you will need to do something. I look forward to you joining us!

Todd Briggs
Pastor, MIDTOWN CHURCH

1 comment:

Corey Barge said...

Please tell me how I can get involved in stopping this horror?

Corey Barge
coreybarge@bellsouth.net
H/ 770.516.5577