March 9, 2012

How do I get a booking agent?


Reality is real   


  When rain falls from the sky, and you're standing under the cloud, you're going to get wet...  If you eat too much you're going to get full.  If you don't pay your rent, you're going to get evicted.  If you're looking for a booking agent and you haven't done your due diligence, it's not going to happen.  Every Artist, new and old, is looking for a booking agent, if they don't already have one.  This is probably the most difficult part of the music business to grasp if you are new, and hardest thing to swallow, if you're new or an old timer.  So let's talk a little about why it is this way.



FROM THE AGENT'S POINT OF VIEW

   Most agents are thinking, simply: how can I make money off the Artist if no one knows who they are.  The answer more times than not is, I can't.  The vendor is thinking, how can I fill my venue with someone new if no one knows this Artist!  The answer more times than not is, I can't!  Thus goes the quagmire.  The Artist is thinking, how can I get anywhere if no one will give me a chance?  Thus the dilemma!
 

MY RIGHTS

  Right of entitlement - I'm owed something because of who I am, or what I do.  There is no right of entitlement in the music industry, only hard work followed by more hard work, followed by hard work!  When do I get the dessert?  Your passion, and love for your craft is your dessert.  If it's the fame and the fortune, and the money, you will starve for the rest of your life.  You will always hunger for more, and never be satisfied.  How do I know? Been there done that, and got the T- SHIRT!!


DUE DILIGENCE

  OK, I get it!  You want everyone to hear your music, and love it.  So do I, and you should!  I'm going to give you a list of things to do, and once you've done this, you might be ready to get a booking agent.

1, Learn your craft
2. Record a project
3. Play every venue you can
4. Build a fan base
5. Get a web site
6. Write a news letter
7. Write a blog
8. Use every form of media known to mankind
9. Network 'til you drop
10. Pray a lot
11. Help someone else
12. Build a team

   This is not an exhaustive list, however it's enough to get you started and increase your chances of being successful and getting that elusive booking agent.  If you're not willing to do all of the above, GOOD LUCK, YOU'LL NEED IT.  I believe this, the harder you work, the luckier you get!  

No comments: