August 31, 2012

Music business moving at the speed of light


I just finished writing an article on the  new stuff that's happening in the digital world. Later in the day I had a meeting with some tech folks. Here's my take-away.

Coincidentally, I spent the day with a group of techs, engineers and programmers working on a project for AMP. (The Association of Music Professionals). We were working on a membership software solution to manage content for AMP.  I was amazed as I listened to these highly trained professionals talking about all the changes coming up.  They stated that they launched a new change in their product every two weeks.  My point is, you must keep abreast of technology if you plan on living in this business.  It’s not a suggestion, it’s a requirement.

They say there’s no point beating a dead horse; well I have my stick out and might as well use it.  Are you investing in your tech knowledge?  If you're serious about being in this business you must ask yourself; how much of myself am I willing to invest?  Do I really have the passion, the drive, am I willing to sacrifice?  The reason I‘m asking you repeatedly is I don’t want to see you waking up in a few years regretting your decision.  I see people dropping out every day, and it is very sad.  Don’t be another fatality!  Take this as seriously as you would crossing a busy intersection; remember this is your life.
One of the attitudes I see regularly from people coming into the business is, the insiders know all the secrets.  That’s just not the truth.  The truth is there are no secrets.  Have you heard of the web?  Talk to it, ask it questions, it will steer you to the answers.  Please don’t let that attitude be yours.

No comments: