August 29, 2012

SONGWRITING/ THE WRITE WAY


Hear is a taste of Chapter 8 of my new book: The Ugly Truth of the Music Business / A Survivors Guide.

Chapter 8
SONG WRITING/ The Write Way
Songwriting is the Genesis of the music business.  Nothing could happen in this industry without the Songwriter.  There would be no record labels, publishers, managers, or for that fact the music industry would not exist. 
I have been a publisher and writer for over 20+ years and this topic is very dear to my heart.  I was very fortunate to have signed a publishing deal very early in my career.  During my years as a writer and publisher in Nashville I had the opportunity to write with some of the best writers in the world as well as some of the worst; both were of equal value.  I found that knowing what not to do is just as important as learning what to do.  It’s like playing in a band; knowing when not to play is just as important as knowing when to play.  The same goes for the songwriting business.  I can’t emphasize how important it is to understand the business side of this craft.  If you are not armed with the proper knowledge of this business you are doomed to what I call “Parasitical Rhythms”.  It’s like the attack of the southern mosquito, they will suck the blood out of you if you're not armed with some repellant.  In this case your repellant is knowledge.

I am blessed to be the President and Founder of AMP (THE ASSOCIATION OF MUSIC PROFESSIONALS).  AMP is a Professional membership association that trains, educates and mentors those with an interest in the music industry.  This fast growing Association was born out of the desire to protect songwriters from the snakes and landmines of this treacherous business.  We will be covering the do’s, don'ts and better nots.  As with everything we teach at AMP we always begin with preparation, and this is no different.
Preparation -- readiness -softening approach to dissonance.
I encourage you to write, write, and write.  While simultaneously learning the business side, if you don’t your chances of getting eaten by the 3 headed parasitacyclops is certain to happen.

No comments: